Kristin Hiibner, Ph.D.
119 E. Union St., Suite B
Pasadena, CA 91103
+1 (213) 785-8070 Phone
(213) 995-5010 Fax
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D.
University of California, San Diego, Ph.D. (Chemistry)
Utah State University, B.S. (Chemistry)
Kristin Hiibner, Ph.D, is an intellectual property attorney with 15+ years of diverse experience in patents, trademarks, trade secrets, licensing, risk management, and regulatory issues. Kristin’s Ph.D. is in Organic Chemistry and she has represented companies in a variety of technologies including chemistry, biotechnology, medical devices, microfluidics, optics, and internet based industries. Dr. Hiibner is a former instructor of Biotechnology Law and Regulation at CSU, Channel Islands, lecturing on intellectual property and regulatory issues including FDA, USDA and EPA regulatory topics, and is a frequent presenter on intellectual property topics in the LA area.
Dr. Hiibner has an exceptionally broad technical background, including graduate work in organic and inorganic chemistry, as well as work experience in plant pathology and molecular biology. Dr. Hiibner externed with the Honorable Judge Audrey B. Collins in the Central District of California and advises clients on a wide range of intellectual property matters. In addition to her legal and technical experience. Dr. Hiibner is a member of an angel investment group (Pasadena Angels) and is intimately familiar with the funding process and corresponding company evaluation process.
Dr. Hiibner's practice focuses on:
- Patent preparation and prosecution, US and foreign: technology areas including chemistry and biotechnology, small molecules, pharmaceutical compositions and methods, polymers, chemical and biological assay systems, PCR methods and reagents, chemical coatings, medical devices, microfluidics, and optics;
- Patent opinion and client counseling: freedom to operate, patentability, inventorship investigations and opinions, infringement, design around, and strategic patent portfolio implementation and management;
- Due diligence: assessment of patents and patent portfolios for acquisition, merger, licensing, and collaborative development;
- Licensing and intellectual property agreements: preparation and negotiation of joint research and development agreements, patent license agreements, technology transfer agreements, non-disclosure agreements;
- Trademark availability and protection.
Kristin lives in Pasadena. She enjoys hiking, skiing, and is working on a black belt in Tang Soo Do. She is an active volunteer in the community, helping to promote women entrepreneurs, advance the careers of women, girls, and underserved youth in science, and volunteering for the Boy Scouts of America as a Den Leader.
Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2015
Pasadena Magazine Top Attorney, 2011-2015
Super Lawyer Rising Star, Los Angeles Magazine, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010
Public Counsel, Adoption Project. Volunteer of the Year, 2008
Patricia Roberts Harris Doctoral Fellowship Award, UC San Diego
Division of Analytical Chemistry Award, Utah State University